Pope Francis to Make First Holy Land Visit in Spring 2014
Pope Francis is expected to make his first trip to the Middle East on May 25, where he will visit Israel and various Hold Land spots.
In April, Israeli President Shimon Peres gave the pontiff an invitation to come to the Holy Land. When Francis met with Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas on October 17, the leader also invited the Pope to visit the region resided by the Palestinian Authority.
Like Us on Facebook
The Bishop of Rome will visit many sacred locations from throughout Christiananity and Judaism's history while on the trip. In addition, he will also visit the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum in Jerusalem. However, he is not expected to visit Nazareth or any other area in Galilee.
"It is in the first instance up to the Pope himself to decide upon and to announce such a visit," said Vatican spokesperson Father Federico Lombardi when he spoke to AFP. As of today, Lombardi would not confirm nor deny the Roman Catholic leader's potential traveling campaign.
According to Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot, " [Francis] is expected to arrive in Israel from neighboring Jordan on the morning of May 25 and meet Israeli President Shimon Peres, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, and heads of local religious communities."
The Israeli newspaper also claimed, that Israeli authorities were not happy with the short 48-hour visit, and the fact Pope Francis would not be celebrating mass there.
"[The Pontiff] cares about the Holy Land and the Middle East." said Fuad Twal, Jerusalem's Latin Archbishop in his Christmas missive on Wednesday.
The proposed trip is expected to be officially announced after Christmas Day.
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Come Through Hardship; Singer Talks of Balancing a Toddler, Disabled Husband, Music Career, and Pregnancy with Twins (INTERVIEW)
- 'The Voice' Contestant Worshipper Anthony Evans Releases New Album 'Real Life/Real Worship' For a Broader Audience
- MercyMe's 'Welcome to the New' Album Review: Band Ditches Legalistic Christianity for God's 'Free' Gift of Grace
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Heaven is 'A Lot Like Earth...The Perfect Earth,' Testifies Colton Burpo of 'Heaven is For Real' Movie (BURPO FAMILY INTERVIEW)
The Breathecast studio had a face to face with the Burpo family (Todd, Colton, and Sonja) about Colton's experience of heaven when he had a near death experience as a young boy.
Popular 2000s Christian boy band Plus One, surprised their loyal fans this week by announcing their return on various social media outlets, with an updated website and new music, and supporters quickly responded with post sharing their excitement.
Darlene Zschech Cancer Update: ‘To Be Honest, I Am a Little Nervous... I Know Now What to Expect,' Singer Says Before Treatment
Former Hillsong worshipper Darlene Zschech shares her latest update on her rough Cancer journey as she entered treatment number five today of Chemotherapy.
Former President Jimmy Carter discusses multiple topics in a recent interview, including Jesus Christ as a leader for equality for woman.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty