Pope Francis to Make First Holy Land Visit in Spring 2014
Pope Francis is expected to make his first trip to the Middle East on May 25, where he will visit Israel and various Hold Land spots.
In April, Israeli President Shimon Peres gave the pontiff an invitation to come to the Holy Land. When Francis met with Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas on October 17, the leader also invited the Pope to visit the region resided by the Palestinian Authority.
Like Us on Facebook
The Bishop of Rome will visit many sacred locations from throughout Christiananity and Judaism's history while on the trip. In addition, he will also visit the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum in Jerusalem. However, he is not expected to visit Nazareth or any other area in Galilee.
"It is in the first instance up to the Pope himself to decide upon and to announce such a visit," said Vatican spokesperson Father Federico Lombardi when he spoke to AFP. As of today, Lombardi would not confirm nor deny the Roman Catholic leader's potential traveling campaign.
According to Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot, " [Francis] is expected to arrive in Israel from neighboring Jordan on the morning of May 25 and meet Israeli President Shimon Peres, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, and heads of local religious communities."
The Israeli newspaper also claimed, that Israeli authorities were not happy with the short 48-hour visit, and the fact Pope Francis would not be celebrating mass there.
"[The Pontiff] cares about the Holy Land and the Middle East." said Fuad Twal, Jerusalem's Latin Archbishop in his Christmas missive on Wednesday.
The proposed trip is expected to be officially announced after Christmas Day.
- 'Crowded' Singer Jeannie Ortega Looks to God's 'Perfect Love' to Spread New Message of Hope and Peace (INTERVIEW)
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Come Through Hardship; Singer Talks of Balancing a Toddler, Disabled Husband, Music Career, and Pregnancy with Twins (INTERVIEW)
- 'The Voice' Contestant Worshipper Anthony Evans Releases New Album 'Real Life/Real Worship' For a Broader Audience
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
'Crowded' Singer Jeannie Ortega Looks to God's 'Perfect Love' to Spread New Message of Hope and Peace (INTERVIEW)
Singer-songwriter Jeannie Ortega is currently working on a new Christian album in Nashville. The 27 year-old Brooklyn native started her career at the young age of 16, signing on with Hollywood Records. Her single "Crowded" was in the top 25 Billboard Top 100 and her album No Place like Brooklyn debuted at No. 1. Her pop career would expand into acting on the drama "One Life to Live," teen dance film "Step Up," and her first major role in an independent film, "Indelible."
Michael W. Smith's 'Sovereign' Bridges the Gap with Next-Gen Worship Leaders While Sticking to Contemporary Roots (ALBUM REVIEW)
In May, CCM icon, Michael W. Smith will be finally releasing a new studio worship album, his first since 2008. Sovereign is a new creative endeavor for the three time Grammy winner whose previous worship projects have sold over 3.5 million.
Christian evangelist Ray Comfort released the 30-minute "Noah-And the Last Days," on March 28-the same day that Hollywood's controversial "Noah" movie. The film used the counter the Hollywood film reached 1 million YouTube views in 23 days, and won a Telly Award this week and is being aired on 14 major TV networks.
The former mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, believes everything he has done for New York and this country has earned him a place in Heaven. Associate Pastor of a 14,000-member church in Brooklyn N.Y. retaliated and told Bloomberg to keep his theology to himself.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty