Pope Francis to Make First Holy Land Visit in Spring 2014
Pope Francis is expected to make his first trip to the Middle East on May 25, where he will visit Israel and various Hold Land spots.
In April, Israeli President Shimon Peres gave the pontiff an invitation to come to the Holy Land. When Francis met with Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas on October 17, the leader also invited the Pope to visit the region resided by the Palestinian Authority.
Like Us on Facebook
The Bishop of Rome will visit many sacred locations from throughout Christiananity and Judaism's history while on the trip. In addition, he will also visit the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum in Jerusalem. However, he is not expected to visit Nazareth or any other area in Galilee.
"It is in the first instance up to the Pope himself to decide upon and to announce such a visit," said Vatican spokesperson Father Federico Lombardi when he spoke to AFP. As of today, Lombardi would not confirm nor deny the Roman Catholic leader's potential traveling campaign.
According to Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot, " [Francis] is expected to arrive in Israel from neighboring Jordan on the morning of May 25 and meet Israeli President Shimon Peres, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, and heads of local religious communities."
The Israeli newspaper also claimed, that Israeli authorities were not happy with the short 48-hour visit, and the fact Pope Francis would not be celebrating mass there.
"[The Pontiff] cares about the Holy Land and the Middle East." said Fuad Twal, Jerusalem's Latin Archbishop in his Christmas missive on Wednesday.
The proposed trip is expected to be officially announced after Christmas Day.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star Chris Pratt Reveals His Son 'Restored' His 'Faith in God' After Coma Scare (VIDEO)
Actor Chris Pratt and his wife actress Anna Faris underwent a great scare when their son was born premature and fell into a coma two years ago. However, miraculously recovered and the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star says the experience "redefined" his faith in God.
Relient K's 'Mmhmm' Still Exudes Passion and Honesty 10 Years Later; Anniversary Tour Begins This Fall (Throwback Thursday)
In honor of Relient K's recently announced 10 year anniversary tour of their smash hit album Mmhmm, this week's Throwback Thursday is going to take a look at the album that put the band on the map for good.
God Over Money, (G.O.M) headed by popular Christian Rapper Bizzle, was eager to share the signing of their newest artist on social media Wednesday and the decision was met with much praise.
Emery's Toby Morrell Discusses the Christian Tactic of 'Scaring the Hell' Out of Non-Believers (BLOG POST)
Toby Morrell, lead singer of rock band Emery, and co-founder of Bad Christian, wrote a blog about Christians focusing too much on condemning people to Hell. Toby feels often times mentioning Hell to non-believers does more harm than good.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too