Pastor's One-Minute Sermon to Catch NFL Playoffs was Just a Joke Intended to Illustrate Priorities (VIRAL VIDEO)
Many Football fans usually try to rush out of Sunday service to see their favorite teams play but a clip that has been making the rounds in the media shows a pastor cutting his Sunday sermon short to watch an NFL playoff game. After much backlash, it has been revealed as just a joke.
At a church in Butte, Montana; Pastor Tim Christensen of Gold Hill Lutheran Church looked like he made it easy for fans that wanted to watch the NFC Divisional Playoff game between the 49ers and Panthers. In a one minute video that went viral, he offered a very short, condensed church service.
Like Us on Facebook
"Would you all like to be forgiven for your sins?" Pastor Christensen is heard asking. The congregation answered "yes," and he responded, "Ok, you are."
He continued and said, "There's some bread and some wine up here on the table. You all feel free to help yourself if you'd like to."
Christensen then kisses both biceps, opened his robe to reveal a 49ers shirt, and then shouted, "I'm out of here" as he walked out of frame and everyone laughed.
"It was just a little bit of a joke," a parish secretary who only identified as Mariam told Mashable on Monday. "The entire congregation knows he's a big 49ers fan, so they were in on it and he held a full service right after that."
The one-minute-long video is getting mixed reviews on YouTube.
Some questioned the authenticity, while others approved of the pastor's approach to the sport.
"This guy is THE COOLEST. God gave us football because He loves us!," posted Joseph Ranner.
"Not exactly the kind of video I would want to 'go viral,' " wrote Sue Seiffert, in response to a message on the Gold Hill Lutheran Facebook. "I am hoping that it was just an opening 'stunt' that led to a meaningful reflection on priorities or perhaps on what is core in our worship."
Football is a strong competitor for some of churchgoers. Last Feb, NewSpring Church in South Carolina actually changed Sunday service time to Saturday night to avoid the disappointment with the Super Bowl, The Christian Post reported.
"Anytime we've tried to compete with the Super Bowl ... well, it just hasn't gone well. We've tried different approaches to remedy this, but nothing has worked. People just have not come to church," NewSpring lead Pastor Perry Noble said.
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
- Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
- 'Believe Me' Movie Set to Ruffle Some Feathers While Bringing Home a Message That is 'Honest' and About the 'Power of Platforms' (INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Lecrae Discusses 'Anomaly' Album and Dealing with Groupies on 'Sway in the Morning'; 'You're More Valuable Than All That' (VIDEOS)
Christian hip-hop artist Lecrae appeared on the "Sway in the Morning" show to talk about his upcoming album Anomaly and share his thoughts on rap music, Christianity, and how he feels about groupies.
Country Star Reba McEntire Calls the World to ‘Pray For Peace’ with New Song She Says Was ‘Sent From God’ (VIDEO)
People and celebrities everywhere joined Reba McEntire as she released her newest song “Pray For Peace” calling the world to prayer during difficult times of war and division.
Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Christian rap/rock artist Manafest has been making inspirational and powerful music for the last ten years. His latest album The Moment will be releasing on August 5, and if one thing is for certain, Manafest has not had a "Moment" to slow down as he has consistently released albums, instrumentals, and now a book and audio book.
Candace Cameron Bure Addresses Hiding Cyber Bullies; Inspired By 'Three Immodestly Dressed Women Walk Into a Church' (VIDEO)
Candace Cameron Bure's resurface in the mainstream media has allowed the former "Full House" actress to openly share her faith, but due to her stance on modesty and her particular dress code has also made her a target. The actress addresses her critics in her latest blog post.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too