Pastor's One-Minute Sermon to Catch NFL Playoffs was Just a Joke Intended to Illustrate Priorities (VIRAL VIDEO)
Many Football fans usually try to rush out of Sunday service to see their favorite teams play but a clip that has been making the rounds in the media shows a pastor cutting his Sunday sermon short to watch an NFL playoff game. After much backlash, it has been revealed as just a joke.
At a church in Butte, Montana; Pastor Tim Christensen of Gold Hill Lutheran Church looked like he made it easy for fans that wanted to watch the NFC Divisional Playoff game between the 49ers and Panthers. In a one minute video that went viral, he offered a very short, condensed church service.
Like Us on Facebook
"Would you all like to be forgiven for your sins?" Pastor Christensen is heard asking. The congregation answered "yes," and he responded, "Ok, you are."
He continued and said, "There's some bread and some wine up here on the table. You all feel free to help yourself if you'd like to."
Christensen then kisses both biceps, opened his robe to reveal a 49ers shirt, and then shouted, "I'm out of here" as he walked out of frame and everyone laughed.
"It was just a little bit of a joke," a parish secretary who only identified as Mariam told Mashable on Monday. "The entire congregation knows he's a big 49ers fan, so they were in on it and he held a full service right after that."
The one-minute-long video is getting mixed reviews on YouTube.
Some questioned the authenticity, while others approved of the pastor's approach to the sport.
"This guy is THE COOLEST. God gave us football because He loves us!," posted Joseph Ranner.
"Not exactly the kind of video I would want to 'go viral,' " wrote Sue Seiffert, in response to a message on the Gold Hill Lutheran Facebook. "I am hoping that it was just an opening 'stunt' that led to a meaningful reflection on priorities or perhaps on what is core in our worship."
Football is a strong competitor for some of churchgoers. Last Feb, NewSpring Church in South Carolina actually changed Sunday service time to Saturday night to avoid the disappointment with the Super Bowl, The Christian Post reported.
"Anytime we've tried to compete with the Super Bowl ... well, it just hasn't gone well. We've tried different approaches to remedy this, but nothing has worked. People just have not come to church," NewSpring lead Pastor Perry Noble said.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
'Fifty Shades of Grey' Challenged by Faith Based Movie 'Old Fashioned'; Releases the Same Day and Provides a Godly Alternative (VIDEO)
The creators of the upcoming faith based film Old Fashioned, have announced that they've scheduled to release the new "chivalry is not dead" love film on the same weekend Universal debuts, Fifty Shades of Grey.
Darlene Zschech Cancer Update: 'Shout to the Lord' Singer Leads Worship for First Time Since Finishing Treatments, Says 'I Have No Words' (VIDEO)
In a recent blog post, beloved psalmist Darlene Zschech described her first time back to leading worship, and what it has been like to be finished with radiation and vicious cancer treatments.
Is There Redemption for Fallen Ministers? Deitrick Haddon, Ted Haggard, and More Continue in Ministry After Falling From Grace (VIDEO)
Although Christianity is arguably based on restitution, forgiveness, and starting over, sometimes believers are devastated when ministers fall into sin and are found guilty. Below is a list of pastors who admitted their wrong doings, lost their ministries for a time, and have found restoration in ministry.
Kingdom Bound Mega Festival Featuring TobyMac, Andy Mineo, Skillet, Michael W. Smith, Mandisa and More Takes Over NY for 4 Days (VIDEO)
Kingdom Bound ministries is presenting a four day family event that includes over 50 artists in concert, 25 speakers, 60 seminars, and an entire amusement and water park for a few full days of hands on ministry opportunities for Christian music lovers in New York.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too