Katy Perry First to Reach 50 Million Followers on Twitter; Huge Spike in Follows After Grammy Award Performance Filled with Satanic Imagery
Katy Perry, singer of the controversial performance at Sunday's Grammy Awards, snagged the top spot as the most person followed on Twitter according to Twitter Counter, a service for tracking Twitter usage.
Perry is the first person ever to have more than 50 million followers on Twitter. Perry dethroned Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga for the top spot on the list.
|1. Katy Perry||50 million|
|2. Justin Bieber||49.2 million|
|3. Barack Obama||41.1 million|
|4. Lady Gaga||41 million|
|5. YouTube||38.9 million|
|6. Taylor Swift||38.7 million|
|7. Britney Spears||35.6 million|
|8. Rihanna||33.8 million|
|9. Instagram||30.5 million|
|10. Justin Timberlake||30.2 million|
Perry performed "Dark Horse" with her collaborator; rapper Juicy J, in a dark Goth-themed performance Sunday night. Although the performance was highly criticized for glorifying satanic rituals and imagery, her influence has seemed to skyrocket making the gap between first and second place spot for most Twitter followers, by an 800,000-follower difference.
Like Us on Facebook
Perry started the performance inside a crystal ball as demons circled her while dancing on every side. She then began pole dancing for the audience on an upside-down wooden broom. By the end, she was standing in front of a fire. The former Christian singer had a Knights of Templar cross-lit across her chest.
Perry grew up in a Christian home with both parents being Pentecostal traveling ministers. The singer recently told Marie Claire during and interview that she no longer identifies with any religion, completely removing the star from her Christian upbringing.
The singer confessed in an interview a few years back that she wanted to be the Amy Grant of Christian music, but when it did not work out, she "sold her soul to the devil." Perry is not the first to make that confession in mainstream entertainment but if in fact that is her truth her influence in the next generation has now exponentially increased.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Relient K's 'Mmhmm' Still Exudes Passion and Honesty 10 Years Later; Anniversary Tour Begins This Fall (Throwback Thursday)
In honor of Relient K's recently announced 10 year anniversary tour of their smash hit album Mmhmm, this week's Throwback Thursday is going to take a look at the album that put the band on the map for good.
God Over Money, (G.O.M) headed by popular Christian Rapper Bizzle, was eager to share the signing of their newest artist on social media Wednesday and the decision was met with much praise.
Emery's Toby Morrell Discusses the Christian Tactic of 'Scaring the Hell' Out of Non-Believers (BLOG POST)
Toby Morrell, lead singer of rock band Emery, and co-founder of Bad Christian, wrote a blog about Christians focusing too much on condemning people to Hell. Toby feels often times mentioning Hell to non-believers does more harm than good.
Darlene Zschech Cancer Update: 'Shout to the Lord' Singer Leads Worship for First Time Since Finishing Treatments, Says 'I Have No Words' (VIDEO)
In a recent blog post, beloved psalmist Darlene Zschech described her first time back to leading worship, and what it has been like to be finished with radiation and vicious cancer treatments.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too