Jennifer Knapp's Gay Christian Memoir 'Facing the Music: Discovering Real Life, Real Love and Real Faith' Releases in October (VIDEO)
Former top Christian solo artist Jennifer Knapp has seen her entire life and career turn around since she announced she was a lesbian four years ago, and now she is chronicling that experience in a book.
The successful artist sold over one million records in the late 90s and early 2000s, and stunned the Christian music world with her proclamation. Her announcement came off the heels of a prolonged hiatus. She also admitted she had been in a homosexual relationship since 2002.
However, with her coming out, Knapp was adamant about not becoming a fixture for "Gay Christianity." "I'm in no way capable of leading a charge for some kind of activist movement," Knapp told Christianity Today in 2010.
Like Us on Facebook
According to ChristianHeadlines, Knapp is ready to share her story now, and is releasing "Facing the Music: Discovering Real Life, Real Love and Real Faith" in October. The book's site reads Knapp has become "an advocate for LGBT issues in the church" and her book shares "of her troubled childhood, the love of music that pulled her through, her dramatic conversion to Christianity, her rise to stardom, her abrupt departure from Christian Contemporary Music, her years of trying to come to terms with her sexual orientation, and her return to music."
Knapp also details the lengthy struggle she has had claiming to be both gay and a Christian as she has been shunned by churches and believers. She writes of her undeniable love for the Lord while engaging in homosexuality.
"We know it's her story and obviously the position she's found herself in as a recognizable Christian artist coming out as gay," Jennifer Smith of Howard Books said, reported ChristianHeadlines. "She shares about how she has come to terms with herself and her own sexuality and is able to speak on the topic and say, 'Look, God loves me through this.'"
Knapp and her publishers are hoping this book opens the door up for discussions on homosexuality and salvation, and are looking to share their beliefs with the church.
"While we understand there will be some people that don't necessarily agree with this book, there are others who want to have this conversation. This is simply a vehicle for us to encourage Christians to open their hearts and minds to having the discussion openly. At the end of the day, this book is an opportunity for Jennifer to tell her story and we want to be part of that conversation."
Watch her latest video for the song "Remedy" below.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Relient K's 'Mmhmm' Still Exudes Passion and Honesty 10 Years Later; Anniversary Tour Begins This Fall (Throwback Thursday)
In honor of Relient K's recently announced 10 year anniversary tour of their smash hit album Mmhmm, this week's Throwback Thursday is going to take a look at the album that put the band on the map for good.
God Over Money, (G.O.M) headed by popular Christian Rapper Bizzle, was eager to share the signing of their newest artist on social media Wednesday and the decision was met with much praise.
Emery's Toby Morrell Discusses the Christian Tactic of 'Scaring the Hell' Out of Non-Believers (BLOG POST)
Toby Morrell, lead singer of rock band Emery, and co-founder of Bad Christian, wrote a blog about Christians focusing too much on condemning people to Hell. Toby feels often times mentioning Hell to non-believers does more harm than good.
Darlene Zschech Cancer Update: 'Shout to the Lord' Singer Leads Worship for First Time Since Finishing Treatments, Says 'I Have No Words' (VIDEO)
In a recent blog post, beloved psalmist Darlene Zschech described her first time back to leading worship, and what it has been like to be finished with radiation and vicious cancer treatments.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too