Jennifer Knapp's Gay Christian Memoir 'Facing the Music: Discovering Real Life, Real Love and Real Faith' Releases in October (VIDEO)
Former top Christian solo artist Jennifer Knapp has seen her entire life and career turn around since she announced she was a lesbian four years ago, and now she is chronicling that experience in a book.
The successful artist sold over one million records in the late 90s and early 2000s, and stunned the Christian music world with her proclamation. Her announcement came off the heels of a prolonged hiatus. She also admitted she had been in a homosexual relationship since 2002.
However, with her coming out, Knapp was adamant about not becoming a fixture for "Gay Christianity." "I'm in no way capable of leading a charge for some kind of activist movement," Knapp told Christianity Today in 2010.
Like Us on Facebook
According to ChristianHeadlines, Knapp is ready to share her story now, and is releasing "Facing the Music: Discovering Real Life, Real Love and Real Faith" in October. The book's site reads Knapp has become "an advocate for LGBT issues in the church" and her book shares "of her troubled childhood, the love of music that pulled her through, her dramatic conversion to Christianity, her rise to stardom, her abrupt departure from Christian Contemporary Music, her years of trying to come to terms with her sexual orientation, and her return to music."
Knapp also details the lengthy struggle she has had claiming to be both gay and a Christian as she has been shunned by churches and believers. She writes of her undeniable love for the Lord while engaging in homosexuality.
"We know it's her story and obviously the position she's found herself in as a recognizable Christian artist coming out as gay," Jennifer Smith of Howard Books said, reported ChristianHeadlines. "She shares about how she has come to terms with herself and her own sexuality and is able to speak on the topic and say, 'Look, God loves me through this.'"
Knapp and her publishers are hoping this book opens the door up for discussions on homosexuality and salvation, and are looking to share their beliefs with the church.
"While we understand there will be some people that don't necessarily agree with this book, there are others who want to have this conversation. This is simply a vehicle for us to encourage Christians to open their hearts and minds to having the discussion openly. At the end of the day, this book is an opportunity for Jennifer to tell her story and we want to be part of that conversation."
Watch her latest video for the song "Remedy" below.
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
- Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
- 'Believe Me' Movie Set to Ruffle Some Feathers While Bringing Home a Message That is 'Honest' and About the 'Power of Platforms' (INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
TobyMac's 'Momentum' Helped Christian Music Fans Grieve Loss of DC Talk with Forward Moving Legendary Debut – Throwback Thursday
The year is 2001, and rap-rock/nu-metal is still ruling the air waves. For the Christian music fan, the year signals the time of mourning as its shining star DC Talk went on an indefinite hiatus. The team of Toby, Mike, and Kevin were no more a trio, and it was time for T-Mac to step up.
Nick Jonas Shedding Christian Image? New 'Racy' Video for 'Chains' Set to Rid 'Squeaky-Clean' Image (VIDEO)
Page Six, reported that the youngest member of the popular group The Jonas Brothers, is gearing up to release a "racy" new music video for his solo song "Chains" in which he denounces his years being "trapped" in the pure character of Nick Jonas.
'Black Jesus' Trailer Already Pegged 'Disrespectful,' 'Blasphemous' and a 'Mockery' by the Christians Offended With The Adult Swim Comedy (TRAILER)
The trailer of Adult Swim's new show 'Black Jesus' has already caused uproar among people that believe the upcoming comedy is highly "disrespectful."
Chonda Pierce's Husband David Passes Due to Complications from a Stroke and Heart Attack; Suffered Brain Hemorrhage
Update: It has come to our attention that Chonda Pierce's husband David passed last night. The following article is the timeline of events as to what ahppened to David as reported before we learned of his passing - "Chonda Pierce's Husband David Needs Prayers; Comedienne's Spouse Suffers Heart Attack, Stroke, and Now has Brain Hemorrhage"
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too