Chick-fil-A Feeds Stranded Drivers Caught in Rare Winter Storm: 'It's a Blessing to be Able to Help People'
Christian established chain restaurant Chick-fil-A took what Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew literally when they offered several stranded motorists food, drinks, and shelter during a rare winter storm in the deep south.
Hundreds of drivers spent the night stranded along ice-covered highways following a rare winter storm this week, but in Birmingham, Alabama an even rarer occurrence took place when Chick-fil-A restaurant employees and the restaurant owner, Mark Meadows generously provided free food and shelter for those abandoned on the roads.
Like Us on Facebook
Once the snow started sticking, Meadows closed the restaurant and sent his staff home. However, just a few hours later, many of them returned because they were unable to get to their homes due to the weather conditions.
The manager of the restaurant, Audrey Pitt, told Fox News that some of the drivers had been stuck in their cars for almost seven hours without any food or water. This prompted the staff of the Chick-fil-A to help out.
"We cooked several hundred sandwiches and stood out on both sides of 280 and handed out the sandwiches to anyone we could get to - as long as we had food to give out," Pitt said.
The staffers braved the storm as they offered hot chicken breast sandwiches and refused to take a single penny for the food.
"For the frozen drivers, it was manna from heaven," Fox News reported.
"They were very excited and extremely thankful," Pitt said. "People were thankful to get something to put in their stomachs."
Chick-fil-A owner Meadows even helped a driver maneuver along the icy road by pushing a car up an incline.
Lauren Dango was one of the stranded motorists. She has known Meadows for years and she was astonished when she saw him walking from car to car with Chick-fil-A sandwiches.
Dango was so touched by Meadows' kindness, she sent a letter to Chick-fil-A's corporate headquarters that said, "Kudos to Mark Meadows for not only preaching the 'second mile' concept, but actually living by it."
Chick-fil-A was founded by a Christian family and run their business on biblical values. What happened in Birmingham is an example of those biblical values in action. Chick-fil-A's kindness did not stop there.
"We opened up our dining room to anyone who wanted to sleep on a bench or a booth," Pitt told Fox News explaining that the next morning, the staff members continued their generosity and fired up their ovens and began preparing chicken biscuits keeping the Chick-fil-A's cash register closed.
Pitt said being able to serve in that capacity was more rewarding to her. "It's a blessing to us to be able to help people," she said. "It really is."
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Members Weigh in on New Controversial Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NY Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Lecrae Speaks Out on Katy Perry Lawsuit; 'It's My Guy Flame's Song...that Statement About the Witchcraft...I Don't Stand Behind That' (VIDEO)
Lecrae addressed the lawsuit against Katy Perry in a recent MTV interview in which the rapper revealed he does not stand behind Christian rapper Flame's statements.
'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Members Weigh in on New Controversial Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NY Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
BreatheCast attended the New York premiere of the film 'Persecuted' over the weekend and spoke with actresses Tanya Wright and Laura Gomez from 'Orange is the New Black'.
Chonda Pierce's Husband Remembered as 'Devoted and Loving'; GoFundMe Account Started for Family Raises Over $50K for Expenses (WAKE SCHEDULE)
Christian comedian Chonda Pierce lost her husband David this week after he suffered a hemorrhage brought upon by a heart attack and a major stroke. She is now asking people to stand by her in celebrating her husband's life.
Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
BreatheCast caught up with comedian/actor Brad Stine on the red carpet of the New York premier of 'Persecuted,' where he passionately declared that the media demeaning Christian or religious based stories is a violation of America's First Amendment rights.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too