Winter Olympics 2014 Opening Ceremony Schedule: TV Channel, Performers and Sochi Preview Details
The Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 will open this week with millions across the globe eagerly awaiting to see how their nations will do at a host of top winter sports events. Below there is information on the TV schedule to watch all the action in the United States, as well as a list of the events set to be featured at the Opening Ceremony.
The Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at Feb. 7, 11 a.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. in Sochi.
Like Us on Facebook
NBC will be the home-station of the Olympic Opening ceremonies in the U.S. With Bob Costas as host for both primetime and late night events this year.
The Parade of Athletes will be the first event to take place. Small groups from each nation including a flag bearer and several athletes will file into the stadium alphabetically. The flag bearers of Russia and Greece will not be held to this order, Greece coming first as the first nation to ever hold the Olympics, and Russia, as the host nation, will file in last.
Speeches will be given by the head of the Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games President Dmitry Chernyshenko, and by the Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach. These will be capped off by a declaration of the commencement of the games by Russian President Vladmir Putin, who has been zealously preparing for this event since its inception, spending more than $50 billion on the Games so far.
The Olympic Flame will be brought in for the final event of the opening ceremony, formally kicking off the games as it lights the Cauldron. The Cauldron will be lit throughout the Olympics until it is extinguished on the Games' final day.
Some performers that will showcase their talents throughout the Olympics include Al Michaels, Dan Patrick, Rebecca Lowe, Lester Holt, Ato Boldon, Mary Carillo and Cris Collinsworth.
The first competitive events will take place before the opening ceremony for the first time in Olympic history. They include freestyle skiing and figure skating, and take place the day before the Feb. 7th ceremony.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
James Franco's Movie Adaptation of 'Child of God' Under Fire for Not Condemning Violence Portrayed in Film (TRAILER)
Actor James Franco is under heat for his latest directorial release, 'Child of God'. The film is an adaptation of the 1973 novel of the same name and is about a man who descends into violence and necrophilia.
Flyleaf's Former Singer Lacey Sturm to Release Book Documenting Her Struggle with Drugs and Suicidal Thoughts; Shares How She Overcame (VIDEO)
Former singer of Flyleaf, Lacey Sturm, is sharing her testimony in her upcoming book 'The Reason - How I discovered a Life Worth Living', where she found Jesus on the brink of suicide.
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star Chris Pratt Reveals His Son 'Restored' His 'Faith in God' After Coma Scare (VIDEO)
Actor Chris Pratt and his wife actress Anna Faris underwent a great scare when their son was born premature and fell into a coma two years ago. However, miraculously recovered and the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star says the experience "redefined" his faith in God.
Emery's Toby Morrell Discusses the Christian Tactic of 'Scaring the Hell' Out of Non-Believers (BLOG POST)
Toby Morrell, lead singer of rock band Emery, and co-founder of Bad Christian, wrote a blog about Christians focusing too much on condemning people to Hell. Toby feels often times mentioning Hell to non-believers does more harm than good.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too