Winter Olympics 2014 Opening Ceremony Schedule: TV Channel, Performers and Sochi Preview Details
The Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 will open this week with millions across the globe eagerly awaiting to see how their nations will do at a host of top winter sports events. Below there is information on the TV schedule to watch all the action in the United States, as well as a list of the events set to be featured at the Opening Ceremony.
The Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at Feb. 7, 11 a.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. in Sochi.
Like Us on Facebook
NBC will be the home-station of the Olympic Opening ceremonies in the U.S. With Bob Costas as host for both primetime and late night events this year.
The Parade of Athletes will be the first event to take place. Small groups from each nation including a flag bearer and several athletes will file into the stadium alphabetically. The flag bearers of Russia and Greece will not be held to this order, Greece coming first as the first nation to ever hold the Olympics, and Russia, as the host nation, will file in last.
Speeches will be given by the head of the Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games President Dmitry Chernyshenko, and by the Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach. These will be capped off by a declaration of the commencement of the games by Russian President Vladmir Putin, who has been zealously preparing for this event since its inception, spending more than $50 billion on the Games so far.
The Olympic Flame will be brought in for the final event of the opening ceremony, formally kicking off the games as it lights the Cauldron. The Cauldron will be lit throughout the Olympics until it is extinguished on the Games' final day.
Some performers that will showcase their talents throughout the Olympics include Al Michaels, Dan Patrick, Rebecca Lowe, Lester Holt, Ato Boldon, Mary Carillo and Cris Collinsworth.
The first competitive events will take place before the opening ceremony for the first time in Olympic history. They include freestyle skiing and figure skating, and take place the day before the Feb. 7th ceremony.
- Matthew West's 'Hello, My Name Is...The Acoustic Tour' Gives Fans a 'Chance to Go Deeper' by Bringing Life to Testimonies (INTERVIEW)
- '100 Huntley Street' Brings Faith-Based Entertainment to Mainstream Media with Actress April Hernandez and Author Eric Metaxas (INTERVIEW)
- John Mark McMillan Releases 'Borderland' Album, Shares Thoughts on 'Christian Artist' Label, 'If the Term Helps People Find a Shelf to Place the CD, That's Cool' (INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Matthew West's 'Hello, My Name Is...The Acoustic Tour' Gives Fans a 'Chance to Go Deeper' by Bringing Life to Testimonies (INTERVIEW)
Contemporary Christian singer Matthew West spoke to BreatheCast about his upcoming "Hello, My Name Is...The Acoustic Tour," and touched upon his inspiration behind songs, how he tries to reach the audience, and much more.
Behind The Scenes Fun with Christian Musicians: Mandisa, Big Daddy Weave, Group 1 Crew and Jamie Grace Post Goofy Videos of Life on the Road (VIDEOS)
Some of Christian music's favorite musicians take to social media regularly to keep fans updated with video logs of their daily lives. Monday afternoon, artists Mandisa, Big Daddy Weave, Group 1 Crew and more all showed the lighter side of life on the road by posting videos of them or their tour mates dancing, jumping around, or being silly.
Malaysia Airlines Missing Plane: Flight 370 American Passenger Philip Wood Described as 'Man of God'
Philip Wood, a 50-year-old father of two and IBM executive, as one of the three Americans aboard the Boeing 777 jet that vanished during a flight from Malaysia to China, and his family describes him as caring, honorable, and a man of faith.
Audio Adrenaline, Kutless 'The Change A Life Tour' Brings High Energy Music Across America with Finding Favour and Shine Bright Baby (SCHEDULE/DATES)
Grammy and Dove Award winning band, Audio Adrenaline, along with modern rock/worship band Kutless began a 33-city Change A Life Tour this weekend.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty