Winter Olympics 2014 Opening Ceremony Schedule: TV Channel, Performers and Sochi Preview Details
The Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 will open this week with millions across the globe eagerly awaiting to see how their nations will do at a host of top winter sports events. Below there is information on the TV schedule to watch all the action in the United States, as well as a list of the events set to be featured at the Opening Ceremony.
The Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at Feb. 7, 11 a.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. in Sochi.
Like Us on Facebook
NBC will be the home-station of the Olympic Opening ceremonies in the U.S. With Bob Costas as host for both primetime and late night events this year.
The Parade of Athletes will be the first event to take place. Small groups from each nation including a flag bearer and several athletes will file into the stadium alphabetically. The flag bearers of Russia and Greece will not be held to this order, Greece coming first as the first nation to ever hold the Olympics, and Russia, as the host nation, will file in last.
Speeches will be given by the head of the Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games President Dmitry Chernyshenko, and by the Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach. These will be capped off by a declaration of the commencement of the games by Russian President Vladmir Putin, who has been zealously preparing for this event since its inception, spending more than $50 billion on the Games so far.
The Olympic Flame will be brought in for the final event of the opening ceremony, formally kicking off the games as it lights the Cauldron. The Cauldron will be lit throughout the Olympics until it is extinguished on the Games' final day.
Some performers that will showcase their talents throughout the Olympics include Al Michaels, Dan Patrick, Rebecca Lowe, Lester Holt, Ato Boldon, Mary Carillo and Cris Collinsworth.
The first competitive events will take place before the opening ceremony for the first time in Olympic history. They include freestyle skiing and figure skating, and take place the day before the Feb. 7th ceremony.
- 'Crowded' Singer Jeannie Ortega Looks to God's 'Perfect Love' to Spread New Message of Hope and Peace (INTERVIEW)
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Come Through Hardship; Singer Talks of Balancing a Toddler, Disabled Husband, Music Career, and Pregnancy with Twins (INTERVIEW)
- 'The Voice' Contestant Worshipper Anthony Evans Releases New Album 'Real Life/Real Worship' For a Broader Audience
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
'Crowded' Singer Jeannie Ortega Looks to God's 'Perfect Love' to Spread New Message of Hope and Peace (INTERVIEW)
Singer-songwriter Jeannie Ortega is currently working on a new Christian album in Nashville. The 27 year-old Brooklyn native started her career at the young age of 16, signing on with Hollywood Records. Her single "Crowded" was in the top 25 Billboard Top 100 and her album No Place like Brooklyn debuted at No. 1. Her pop career would expand into acting on the drama "One Life to Live," teen dance film "Step Up," and her first major role in an independent film, "Indelible."
Michael W. Smith's 'Sovereign' Bridges the Gap with Next-Gen Worship Leaders While Sticking to Contemporary Roots (ALBUM REVIEW)
In May, CCM icon, Michael W. Smith will be finally releasing a new studio worship album, his first since 2008. Sovereign is a new creative endeavor for the three time Grammy winner whose previous worship projects have sold over 3.5 million.
Christian evangelist Ray Comfort released the 30-minute "Noah-And the Last Days," on March 28-the same day that Hollywood's controversial "Noah" movie. The film used the counter the Hollywood film reached 1 million YouTube views in 23 days, and won a Telly Award this week and is being aired on 14 major TV networks.
The former mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, believes everything he has done for New York and this country has earned him a place in Heaven. Associate Pastor of a 14,000-member church in Brooklyn N.Y. retaliated and told Bloomberg to keep his theology to himself.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty