Winter Olympics 2014 Opening Ceremony Schedule: TV Channel, Performers and Sochi Preview Details
The Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 will open this week with millions across the globe eagerly awaiting to see how their nations will do at a host of top winter sports events. Below there is information on the TV schedule to watch all the action in the United States, as well as a list of the events set to be featured at the Opening Ceremony.
The Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at Feb. 7, 11 a.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. in Sochi.
Like Us on Facebook
NBC will be the home-station of the Olympic Opening ceremonies in the U.S. With Bob Costas as host for both primetime and late night events this year.
The Parade of Athletes will be the first event to take place. Small groups from each nation including a flag bearer and several athletes will file into the stadium alphabetically. The flag bearers of Russia and Greece will not be held to this order, Greece coming first as the first nation to ever hold the Olympics, and Russia, as the host nation, will file in last.
Speeches will be given by the head of the Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games President Dmitry Chernyshenko, and by the Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach. These will be capped off by a declaration of the commencement of the games by Russian President Vladmir Putin, who has been zealously preparing for this event since its inception, spending more than $50 billion on the Games so far.
The Olympic Flame will be brought in for the final event of the opening ceremony, formally kicking off the games as it lights the Cauldron. The Cauldron will be lit throughout the Olympics until it is extinguished on the Games' final day.
Some performers that will showcase their talents throughout the Olympics include Al Michaels, Dan Patrick, Rebecca Lowe, Lester Holt, Ato Boldon, Mary Carillo and Cris Collinsworth.
The first competitive events will take place before the opening ceremony for the first time in Olympic history. They include freestyle skiing and figure skating, and take place the day before the Feb. 7th ceremony.
- Laura Story's 'Blessings' Come Through Hardship; Singer Talks of Balancing a Toddler, Disabled Husband, Music Career, and Pregnancy with Twins (INTERVIEW)
- 'The Voice' Contestant Worshipper Anthony Evans Releases New Album 'Real Life/Real Worship' For a Broader Audience
- MercyMe's 'Welcome to the New' Album Review: Band Ditches Legalistic Christianity for God's 'Free' Gift of Grace
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Heaven is 'A Lot Like Earth...The Perfect Earth,' Testifies Colton Burpo of 'Heaven is For Real' Movie (BURPO FAMILY INTERVIEW)
The Breathecast studio had a face to face with the Burpo family (Todd, Colton, and Sonja) about Colton's experience of heaven when he had a near death experience as a young boy.
Popular 2000s Christian boy band Plus One, surprised their loyal fans this week by announcing their return on various social media outlets, with an updated website and new music, and supporters quickly responded with post sharing their excitement.
Darlene Zschech Cancer Update: ‘To Be Honest, I Am a Little Nervous... I Know Now What to Expect,' Singer Says Before Treatment
Former Hillsong worshipper Darlene Zschech shares her latest update on her rough Cancer journey as she entered treatment number five today of Chemotherapy.
Former President Jimmy Carter discusses multiple topics in a recent interview, including Jesus Christ as a leader for equality for woman.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty