Katy Perry's Rendition of 'Yesterday' Leaves Beatles Fans Enraged at 'The Beatles: The Night That Changed America - A Grammy Salute' (VIDEO)
During the Grammy's tribute to The Beatles this weekend, the hashtag Beatles was trending around the world and people filled their Twitter feeds with all sorts of thoughts on the event. One particular performance gained heavy criticism on social media and that was pop star Katy Perry's version of the popular song, "Yesterday."
CBS hosted the special live event and numerous celebs and musicians turned up to pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of The Beatles's first appearance on American television. Returning to the Ed Sullivan Theater, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were on hand to witness performances of some of their classic hits.
Like Us on Facebook
Beatle fans were ranting and raving over the energy packed performances by the likes of celebs like Dave Grohl, Annie Lennox, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, and others; but fans said Perry should have been left out of the line up.
As Perry took on the classic "Yesterday," people's disapproval began to surface on Twitter.
"Katy Perry sang 'Yesterday' and changed the word 'man' to 'girl.' It seems like a simple switch, but Beatles fans were not amused," said one post.
Another added, "Seriously ... NOT Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, OR Ever, should Katy Perry appear on a tribute to The Beatles! #fail #Beatles50." Someone else said, "This #Beatles show is good...but I could do without Katy Perry ruining Yesterday."
Beatles fan appeared embarrassed by Perry's approach to the classic, "On behalf of Beatles fans everywhere, I apologize for Katy Perry" another said.
"'Yesterday' is without question my favorite #Beatles song. Katy Perry is butchering this. Who agreed to let this happen?" said another and the list of backlash went on and on.
"Yesterday" remains popular today with more than 2,200 cover versions, and is reportedly one of the most covered songs in the history of recorded music. It was song originally recorded by the Beatles for their 1965 album Help!.
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Lecrae Speaks Out on Katy Perry Lawsuit; 'It's My Guy Flame's Song...that Statement About the Witchcraft...I Don't Stand Behind That' (VIDEO)
Lecrae addressed the lawsuit against Katy Perry in a recent MTV interview in which the rapper revealed he does not stand behind Christian rapper Flame's statements.
'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Members Weigh in on New Controversial Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NY Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
BreatheCast attended the New York premiere of the film 'Persecuted' over the weekend and spoke with actresses Tanya Wright and Laura Gomez from 'Orange is the New Black'.
Chonda Pierce's Husband Remembered as 'Devoted and Loving'; GoFundMe Account Started for Family Raises Over $50K for Expenses (WAKE SCHEDULE)
Christian comedian Chonda Pierce lost her husband David this week after he suffered a hemorrhage brought upon by a heart attack and a major stroke. She is now asking people to stand by her in celebrating her husband's life.
Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
BreatheCast caught up with comedian/actor Brad Stine on the red carpet of the New York premier of 'Persecuted,' where he passionately declared that the media demeaning Christian or religious based stories is a violation of America's First Amendment rights.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too