Katy Perry's Rendition of 'Yesterday' Leaves Beatles Fans Enraged at 'The Beatles: The Night That Changed America - A Grammy Salute' (VIDEO)
During the Grammy's tribute to The Beatles this weekend, the hashtag Beatles was trending around the world and people filled their Twitter feeds with all sorts of thoughts on the event. One particular performance gained heavy criticism on social media and that was pop star Katy Perry's version of the popular song, "Yesterday."
CBS hosted the special live event and numerous celebs and musicians turned up to pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of The Beatles's first appearance on American television. Returning to the Ed Sullivan Theater, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were on hand to witness performances of some of their classic hits.
Like Us on Facebook
Beatle fans were ranting and raving over the energy packed performances by the likes of celebs like Dave Grohl, Annie Lennox, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, and others; but fans said Perry should have been left out of the line up.
As Perry took on the classic "Yesterday," people's disapproval began to surface on Twitter.
"Katy Perry sang 'Yesterday' and changed the word 'man' to 'girl.' It seems like a simple switch, but Beatles fans were not amused," said one post.
Another added, "Seriously ... NOT Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, OR Ever, should Katy Perry appear on a tribute to The Beatles! #fail #Beatles50." Someone else said, "This #Beatles show is good...but I could do without Katy Perry ruining Yesterday."
Beatles fan appeared embarrassed by Perry's approach to the classic, "On behalf of Beatles fans everywhere, I apologize for Katy Perry" another said.
"'Yesterday' is without question my favorite #Beatles song. Katy Perry is butchering this. Who agreed to let this happen?" said another and the list of backlash went on and on.
"Yesterday" remains popular today with more than 2,200 cover versions, and is reportedly one of the most covered songs in the history of recorded music. It was song originally recorded by the Beatles for their 1965 album Help!.
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
- Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
- 'Believe Me' Movie Set to Ruffle Some Feathers While Bringing Home a Message That is 'Honest' and About the 'Power of Platforms' (INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Christian rap/rock artist Manafest has been making inspirational and powerful music for the last ten years. His latest album The Moment will be releasing on August 5, and if one thing is for certain, Manafest has not had a "Moment" to slow down as he has consistently released albums, instrumentals, and now a book and audio book.
Christian rock band Anberlin released their highly anticipated final album Lowborn today.
Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
BreatheCast attended the New York premiere of the film Persecuted over the weekend and spoke with actress and Fox News Correspondent Gretchen Carlson about her role and her thoughts about religious freedom in America.
'Tolkien and Lewis' Movie Tells Story of Christian Super Thinkers Behind 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Chronicles of Narnia'
Top Christian authors and thinkers, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's friendship and lives will be the focus of a new movie on its way to the big screen.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty