'God's Not Dead' Movie's Box Office Success Shocks Film World with Top 5 Standing Despite Limited Theater Release (MOVIE PHOTOS)
Despite not having a massive marketing budget, a huge backing from Hollywood, or a great amount of screens to air it on, Independent faith-based Film "God's not Dead" shocked Hollywood coming in at No. 4 of the top five movies in the box office this weekend.
The Pure Flix Entertainment film, "God's not dead" did not have nearly as much support or funding as its predecessors but still managed to pull in between a staggering $8.6 to $8.9 million in its first week on the big screen.
Like Us on Facebook
The film was shown on just 780 screens across the country, which pales in Comparison to the almost 4,000 theaters that its competing films, Muppets Most Wanted and Divergent, showed in.
The movie "God's Not Dead" is about a freshman college student named Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), who enrolled in a philosophy class taught by a notorious and domineering professor. Prof. Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) demanded all of his students sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to get a passing grade in his class. Wheaton refused and defended his belief in God.
The film has received a ton of support from Christians and likewise criticism from Atheist who are not happy with the notion of Christians defending the antithesis of their not being a God.
Actor Sorbo, best known for his role as Hercules, spoke with BreatheCast about the film and said Christians in American need to speak up. "I Think there so many people in this country. Christians that say lets live and let live but I think we've got to stop doing that, we've got to fight back and say you know what, get over it!"
"God's Not Dead" was directed by Harold Cronk, and stars Sorbo, Harper, David A.R. White, and Dean Cain featuring the NewBoys and Phil Robertson. It was released throughout the United States Friday, March 21 by Pure Flix Entertainment.
For more information on the film visit the movies Website.
- Controversial 'Persecuted' Movie Can Help Remind Us to 'Protect Our Constitutional Rights' Says Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star Chris Pratt Reveals His Son 'Restored' His 'Faith in God' After Coma Scare (VIDEO)
Actor Chris Pratt and his wife actress Anna Faris underwent a great scare when their son was born premature and fell into a coma two years ago. However, miraculously recovered and the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star says the experience "redefined" his faith in God.
Relient K's 'Mmhmm' Still Exudes Passion and Honesty 10 Years Later; Anniversary Tour Begins This Fall (Throwback Thursday)
In honor of Relient K's recently announced 10 year anniversary tour of their smash hit album Mmhmm, this week's Throwback Thursday is going to take a look at the album that put the band on the map for good.
God Over Money, (G.O.M) headed by popular Christian Rapper Bizzle, was eager to share the signing of their newest artist on social media Wednesday and the decision was met with much praise.
Emery's Toby Morrell Discusses the Christian Tactic of 'Scaring the Hell' Out of Non-Believers (BLOG POST)
Toby Morrell, lead singer of rock band Emery, and co-founder of Bad Christian, wrote a blog about Christians focusing too much on condemning people to Hell. Toby feels often times mentioning Hell to non-believers does more harm than good.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too