All-Star Game NL Starting Pitcher Adam Wainwright Reveals Secret to His Successful Pitching Style, 'That Freedom Only Comes from a Relationship with Christ' (VIDEO)
The 85th Annual All-Star Game takes place tonight (July 15) in Minnesota at Target Field and St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher; Adam Wainwright is accrediting Jesus to his unique style of pitching.
The ace pitcher explained in a recent interview with CBN.com that he came to have a deeper relationship with Jesus while being groomed to become a starting pitcher after his success in the game as a closer.
Like Us on Facebook
"[The pastor] was talking about relationship, and how there's nothing we can do to earn salvation," Wainwright explained to CBN video interview, "We're all lost and we all need the grace of God. It made sense to me-Jesus was pursuing me, and I was finally ready to let Him catch me."
After having back to back 19 and 20 win seasons, Wainwright injured his elbow. He recalled a statement his wife made to him during the time of his injury where she really encouraged him to not find his identity in the baseball game.
"She said, 'I just want you to know, to me you're not a baseball player, you're my husband, my spiritual leader, my kid's father. You're so much more to me than this game of baseball.' I took tremendous pleasure in that," the pitcher said, "just knowing that my identity with her, myself and my teammates was not so much as a player, it was as a godly man. A Christ-following man in the house and out of the house."
After recovering from his injury, Wainwright's pitching strength was not the same. While this may seem like a bad thing, he said it freed him up to become an even better person.
"At some level, you have to point to my faith... I'm freed up into a way of playing baseball that has allowed me to go out there and play fearless[ly]," the two time Cy Young Award runner up said, "God has granted me the strength, mentally, to believe in my ability. The freedom out there, to completely be me, and just have fun mixing and matching [pitches]. I think that freedom only comes from a relationship with Christ."
Wainwright's new creative strategy of pitching has earned him the highest winning percentage of any current National League pitcher since 2008 and he is the 2014 All-Star starting pitcher for the National League.
The loving husband and father said his anchor scripture is now Acts 20:24 which says, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace."
Wainwright ends the interview by saying,"If I'm not using my life and this platform for good, for the kingdom, then I'm completely wasting it."
Watch Wainwright's full interview with CBN below:
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
- Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
- 'Believe Me' Movie Set to Ruffle Some Feathers While Bringing Home a Message That is 'Honest' and About the 'Power of Platforms' (INTERVIEW)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Christian rap/rock artist Manafest has been making inspirational and powerful music for the last ten years. His latest album The Moment will be releasing on August 5, and if one thing is for certain, Manafest has not had a "Moment" to slow down as he has consistently released albums, instrumentals, and now a book and audio book.
Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Says 'Persecuted' Movie Will Serve As a 'Wake Up Call' For America (INTERVIEW)
BreatheCast attended the New York premiere of the film Persecuted over the weekend and spoke with actress and Fox News Correspondent Gretchen Carlson about her role and her thoughts about religious freedom in America.
Ridley Scott's 'Exodus' to be Followed by 'David' Movie; Film to Document Battle with Goliath and Philistine Army (VIDEO)
Famed Director Ridley Scott is working on a movie about the Bible's David directly after he finishes 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'.
'Tolkien and Lewis' Movie Tells Story of Christian Super Thinkers Behind 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Chronicles of Narnia'
Top Christian authors and thinkers, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's friendship and lives will be the focus of a new movie on its way to the big screen.
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Top 10 Inspirational People on Twitter Includes: Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Tyler Perry, and More
- This is What Happens When a Little Girl Uses Marijuana (VIDEO)
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too
- BreatheCast Throwback Thursday: DC Talk's 'Jesus Freak' Changes Christian Music Forever with Most 'Overtly Christian Act' of All Time (VIDEO)
- Lizzie Velasquez Once Called 'The World's Ugliest Woman' Knows God Sees Her True Beauty