All-Star Game NL Starting Pitcher Adam Wainwright Reveals Secret to His Successful Pitching Style, 'That Freedom Only Comes from a Relationship with Christ' (VIDEO)
The 85th Annual All-Star Game takes place tonight (July 15) in Minnesota at Target Field and St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher; Adam Wainwright is accrediting Jesus to his unique style of pitching.
The ace pitcher explained in a recent interview with CBN.com that he came to have a deeper relationship with Jesus while being groomed to become a starting pitcher after his success in the game as a closer.
Like Us on Facebook
"[The pastor] was talking about relationship, and how there's nothing we can do to earn salvation," Wainwright explained to CBN video interview, "We're all lost and we all need the grace of God. It made sense to me-Jesus was pursuing me, and I was finally ready to let Him catch me."
After having back to back 19 and 20 win seasons, Wainwright injured his elbow. He recalled a statement his wife made to him during the time of his injury where she really encouraged him to not find his identity in the baseball game.
"She said, 'I just want you to know, to me you're not a baseball player, you're my husband, my spiritual leader, my kid's father. You're so much more to me than this game of baseball.' I took tremendous pleasure in that," the pitcher said, "just knowing that my identity with her, myself and my teammates was not so much as a player, it was as a godly man. A Christ-following man in the house and out of the house."
After recovering from his injury, Wainwright's pitching strength was not the same. While this may seem like a bad thing, he said it freed him up to become an even better person.
"At some level, you have to point to my faith... I'm freed up into a way of playing baseball that has allowed me to go out there and play fearless[ly]," the two time Cy Young Award runner up said, "God has granted me the strength, mentally, to believe in my ability. The freedom out there, to completely be me, and just have fun mixing and matching [pitches]. I think that freedom only comes from a relationship with Christ."
Wainwright's new creative strategy of pitching has earned him the highest winning percentage of any current National League pitcher since 2008 and he is the 2014 All-Star starting pitcher for the National League.
The loving husband and father said his anchor scripture is now Acts 20:24 which says, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace."
Wainwright ends the interview by saying,"If I'm not using my life and this platform for good, for the kingdom, then I'm completely wasting it."
Watch Wainwright's full interview with CBN below:
- Comedian Brad Stine Says 'Persecuted' Movie Coming Under Heat is 'Tyranny' and a Violation of America's 'First Amendment Rights' (VIDEO)
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Cast Weigh in on New Political Thriller 'Persecuted' at NYC Premiere (VIDEO INTERVIEW)
- Manafest Interview: From Quitting $70K Job to Almost Going Broke from Music; God's Plan Keeps His Chosen in 'The Moment' (VIDEO)
Get the latest news from BC in your inbox
- THIS WEEK
More in BC
Pastor Shares Battle with Chronic Depression; Shares 6 Truths for Struggling Christians, 'As Long as I'm Alive, I have Jesus'
Depression is something that is often not addressed in the church, and is in fact often looked down upon for a believer. Christians are not supposed to be depressed because they have, "the love of Jesus" in their hearts. However, depression is something that can affect everyone in their daily lives and pastor and co-founder of Bad Christian, Joey Svendsen shared about his own troubles in a blog post.
Remedy Drive's declaration of war against human trafficking and sex slavery tops the music charts with their new single "Commodity."
Ghosts in a Pennsylvania Haunted house attacked a Fox News cameraman and reporter during a live interview with the homeowner, and the ghosts are allegedly caught on camera.
Jennifer Hudson, 'Walk It Out' Singer Says Her Faith in Jesus Christ Helped Overcome Family Tragedy (VIDEO)
In a new interview, former American Idol contestant Jennifer Hudson recently revealed how her faith helped her overcome the tragedy that claimed many members of her family six years ago.
- 5 Hip-Hop Artists Every Christian Music Fan Should Know - TobyMac, Lecrae, and More
- 5 Christian Screamo/Metalcore Influential Bands – UnderOath, Emery, and More (VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Who Waited Until Marriage; These Stars Were Not Afraid to Stick to Their Beliefs
- Breathecast's Top 7 Christian Rock Albums of 2013 - Skillet, Stryper, and More
- 4 Mainstream R&B Stars With A Passion For Singing Gospel Music (VIDEOS)
- 'American Idol' Finalist Jason Castro Confesses He Traded Pop Success For God, 'Why Am I Doing This? To Make a Name...? To Make Some Money?' (VIDEO)
- DC Talk Reunion 'Jesus Freak 20 Years Later Tour' Confirmed by Michael Tait? TobyMac, Audio Adrenaline, and Newsboys on the Dream Tour Bill Too